[MINC-users] Using MINC on Intel Macs

Simon Duchesne duchesne at ieee.org
Mon Jul 10 15:32:20 EDT 2006

Paul

Andrew has put a MINC package built on/for Intel MACs. See the distribs on
packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca

This being said, there's a few bugs on install; quite possibly rebuilding
netcdf-mni will fix them.

Later,
Simon

On 9/07/06 14:11, "Jason Lerch" <jason at bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Greetings Paul + everyone,
>
> I have a set of the MINC tools built for intel-mac, but using MINC2
> rather than MINC1. I'd certainly be happy to create an installer and
> distribute it if there's interest.
>
> Jason
>
> On Jul 9, 2006, at 2:21 AM, Paul Thompson wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew + everyone -
>>
>> Has anyone had any luck building MINC tools on the new "Intel core"
>> Macs, running OS 10.4 ("Tiger")?
>>
>> I've downloaded Andrew's Mac OS 10.4 MINC package (from the link
>> below - thanks Andrew!) but I think it was built on a PowerPC
>> Mac (running OS 10.4). For folks who are not used to Macs (!), Mac is
>> now making very fast laptops that ship with Intel chips,
>> and they can often run applications built on a Mac PowerPC (using an
>> built-in emulator called Rosetta). I tried out
>> Andrew's MINC package (URL is below) -- I noticed that Register and
>> most of the main minc tools do run ok on my
>> Intel Mac running 10.4.7 (e.g. things like mincresample run fine).
>>
>> However I can't link against the pre-compiled volume I/O libraries
>> when I use gcc to build my own C code that reads MINC. gcc
>> complains with this:
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: warning /usr/local/mni/lib/libbicpl.a archive's cputype
>> (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (
>> 7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (can't load from it)
>> /usr/bin/ld: warning /usr/local/mni/lib/libvolume_io.a archive's
>> cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputy
>> pe (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (can't load from it)
>> /usr/bin/ld: warning /usr/local/mni/lib/libminc.a archive's cputype
>> (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7
>> ) for specified -arch flag: i386 (can't load from it)
>>
>> Has anyone built these libraries on Intel Macs? If so would you be
>> willing to post the .a files (or even email them to Andrew to put on
>> the web? ;)
>>
>> Thanks a lot for any ideas! :)
>> Paul
>> (Paul Thompson, UCLA)
>> http://www.loni.ucla.edu/~thompson/thompson.html
>>

>> ============================
>>>>>
>> Hi Paul (and others)
>>
>> I recompiled a bunch of them last night under 10.4 there were a few
>> small tweaks that were needed for POSIX compliance but by en large
>> things progressed smoothly.  For the packages that require external
>> libraries (bicpl and netpbm for example) I have used the fink
>> versions.  In the future I may use darwinports as it seems a bit
>> "cleaner" but at the moment I am unconvinced either way.
>>
>> Could those who use tiger please test the new packages here:
>>
>>     http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/osx-10.4/
>>
>> Note that this is not a complete list (some failed for various reasons
>> that I will try to rectify over the next few days).
>>

>> Andrew
>>

>> On 4/3/06, Paul Rasser <Paul.Rasser at newcastle.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering how things are progressing regarding the Mac OS
>>> packages?
>>>
>>> Paul.

Simon Duchesne, ing., Ph.D.
Post-doctoral researcher
Chercheur post-doctoral

Unité/Projet VisAGeS U746
INSERM/INRIA/CNRS/U. de Rennes I

IRISA
Campus de Beaulieu, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Ph: +33 (2) 99 84 25 23 / Fax: +33 (2) 99 84 71 71

INSERM
Universite de Rennes I, CS 34317, 35043 Rennes Cedex, France
Ph: +33 (2) 23 23 45 88 / Fax: +33 (2) 99 84 71 71
duchesne at ieee.org