[MINC-users] Volumetry and Talairach boxes

D. Louis Collins louis.collins at mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 4 13:59:39 EST 2006

Ed,

This should not be difficult, although no one-line command exists to do
what you need.  I suggest the following, starting with a subj,mnc in
native (scanner) space.

mritotal subj.mnc subj_to_tal.xfm
mincresample subj.mnc subj_tal.mnc -transformation subj_to_tal.xfm
-like icbm_template_1.00mm.mnc
classify_clean subj_tal.mnc subj_classes.mnc

you'll need a method to strip the skull to create a brain mask.  We use
minc_bet, a derivative of BET from FSL.

minccalc -expression 'A[0]>0.5? A[1] : 0' subj_brain_mask.mnc
subj_classes.mnc subj_brain_classes.mnc

now the fun part.  You'll need to chop up the brain into the twelve
Talairach boxes and then use print_all_labels to get the volume of each
tissue in each box.  For example, to get the right frontal superior
block:

mincreshape -dimrange zspace=72,85 -dimrange xspace=90,70 -dimrange
yspace=126,80 \
    subj_brain_classes.mnc block.mnc

you'll need to play with the start and extent voxel indexes to get each
of the twelve blocks correctly defined.

to get the volume of tissue for each block:
print_all_labels block.mnc

hope this helps,

-Louis