[MINC-users] BNC File and PET Image Units

Sylvain MILOT sylvain at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri Sep 30 13:21:24 EDT 2005

Hi Paul,

If you use mincheader on either a BNC or MNC file, you'll
see the units are listed (look for :units).

For the BNC, activity units are a little ambiguous:

The "activity" is  counts/count_length (in seconds), so yes it would
translate to becquerels.

The decay "corrected_activity" is in Becquerels/gram (look at the
Blood-Lab code, i.e. CAL.C and DATFILES.C to get the correction factor)

As far as I can tell, units on the minc side are listed as nCi/cc

If  1 Ci = 37 GBq, then 1 nCi = 37 Bq

Hope this helps a little,

Sylvain

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Paul GRAVEL wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am getting mixed up with what units are used
> in both bnc files and pet images.
>
> >From the code of the program used to create
> the bnc files, it seems that the units used
> are counts/second, which I would assume would
> translate to Becquerels. Is that correct?
>
> As for PET images, some programs seems to be
> showing that units are in nCuries, some in ECAT counts, or
> in Becquerels (I assume it is just a matter of multiplying
> by a certain factor).
>
> However, is there a way to make sure that the units of the
> PET image with its related bnc file are the same?
> And if so, to know which units are used by default?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul
> ______________________________