[MINC-users] Slice time correction and justification for aquiring co-planar

Dylan David Wagner dwagne at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Mon Oct 10 15:00:34 EDT 2005

Dear Minc Users,

    I've since moved to another center where they have different
scanning protocols and I'm trying to understand why they do what they do
and by extension why we did what we did!

    Firstly: For event related fMRI data analysis using SPM, it's
neccessary to perform slice timing correction (to correct for the fact
that slices have been aquired at different times over the TR). How does
fMRISTAT get away with not doing this? I found this in something Keith
wrote that seems to explain, but I'm afraid I'm not very clear on what
it means!!!

"Finally, the regressors for the linear model are formed by subsampling
the convolved stimuli at the slice acquisition times."

    I'm assuming this means it corrects for slice timing issues without
having to interpolate a new dataset.

   Second: it's the norm here to collect a coplanar volume in addition
to  functional and anatomical images. The functional data are then
registered to this coplanar volume which is itself registered to the
anatomical. Apparently you get a better fit with this intermediary step
than if you directly registered functional to anatomical.

    Is there some advantage of MINC or our registration packages which
allows us to skip this step? Raw volumes seem to register great as they
come off the scanner.

              Thanks,