[MINC-users] cortical surface inflation

Jonathan Harlap jharlap at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sun Nov 27 11:21:43 EST 2005

I believe the idea was more that you can take a signal measured on the
surface (or mapped to the surface from the volumetric data) and then
perform registration and subsequent analyses with the surface data.
i.e., you don't map back from the surface to a volume.

Inflating a surface to a sphere is actually pretty trivial due to the
way that the cortices are extracted, in that a sphere is shrinkwrapped
down onto the cortex.  Thus, the function that maps vertices in your
cortical surface back to vertices on the inflated sphere is simply the
identity.  In other words, once you have a signal at each vertex on the
cortex you can simply use the same signal on a sphere of identical
structure (such as, say, the one used to generate the cortical surface)
and you will have mapped the signal onto a sphere.

Surface registration is a topic I really can't comment on with any
authority.  As to signals on the surface, Jason Lerch wrote about
cortical thickness analysis on the wiki
(http://wiki.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/index.php/CorticalThickness).  Noting
that cortical thickness is just one example signal you can have on the
surface, most of the information there should be easily applicable to
other signals.