[MINC-users] Re: hires vs. lowres registration

minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu May 5 10:47:04 2005

Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for your comments.  We're continuing to look at this
issue.

>> First, this difference has (well should have!) nothing to do with
>> mincresample so let's concentrate on minctracc/mritoself.

I'm not sure if mincresample does not have an effect.  For example, the
process of reducing the resolution and changing coordinates to match the
T1 image to the T2 space takes place when this tool is run.  So perhaps
mritoself calculates the correct transformation (.xfm) but could error or
noise be then introduced afterward during the resampling?

>>   * Given that you are using mutual information and that the input T1
>> may be somewhat noisy, the mutual information "image" that is
>> calculated internally as part of the fit may be somewhat spurious.
>> Down sampling the data first is effectively blurring it.  Thus your
>> input T1 is more smooth in the low-res version.
>>
>>    * Lots of other things....
>>
>> You can easily test the second by blurring the input high-res data
>> before fitting at the same level as the downsampling would achieve.

I plan to go ahead and try this - to manually reduce the hi-res data, and
to see if this also improves the registration/alignment quality.

Recently I tested the registration (i.e. mritoself and mincresample) on a
series of scans with varying quality from different scanners.  In all
cases registering using the lo-res T1 image worked extremely well for some
reason.  So if we can be sure that this is happening for a valid reason,
it would represent a good technique or strategy for us (and perhaps in
general), during the image registration stage of analysis.

All comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Ernest Lo
NeuroRX Research
Montreal, Canada