[MINC-users] Dicom to Minc converter for Phillips ?

Jonathan HARLAP minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 11 09:25:04 2005

It seems that your dcm files have the ImageOrientationPatient
(0x20,0x37) field filled in, but not the ImagePositionPatient
(0x20,0x32).  dicom3_to_minc uses both these fields in order to
determine the slice position in the out of slice dimension...  There
is an option (-ignore_positions) in dicom3_to_minc which lets you tell
it to use the image number instead of the slice position, which I had
added specifically to handle cases where slice position could not be
calculated properly, with the caveat that your step in the out of
slice dimension will be 1mm (assuming consecutive image numbers)
instead of whatever it should really be, and the start coordinate in
that dimension will be wrong.  However, a simple header hack could fix
that.

There also seems to be a field SliceLocation (0x20,0x1041) which your
data contains, but the values are not unique across the range of
slices, so it would be difficult to use that, as dicom3_to_minc would
complain of duplicate slices at a given position, and proceed to
ignore all but one slice at each position.

I'm open to suggestions if you can think of a sensible way to handle
this kind of data...

Cheers,
Jon