[MINC-users] nu_correct & masking

minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 29 15:34:04 2005

Hello,

Some further thoughts on the nu_correct issue.

nu_correct works by sharpening the intensity histogram (by successively
deconvolving it).  Therefore, if you mask out the csf, it will determine
the optimal bias correction for the brain-without-csf intensity histogram.
If masking is not done, then the optimal bias correction for the entire
brain is done.

The 'actual' bias field extends over the entire brain which includes the
csf.  But for processing purposes, the goal may not be to calculate the
'actual' field but rather the one that produces the best uniformity in a
specific tissue type in the resulting image.  So the most 'effective' use
of nu_correct depends on your objective (which would be most likely the
latter, for image processing purposes - hence use a mask).

According to the Sled 1998 article (p.90), "simple thresholding is used to
remove empty regions" from the brain volume.  This may automatically
exclude csf regions as well.

Empirical testing would be useful to verify these ideas.

Ernest Lo
NeuroRX Research
Montreal, Canada