[MINC-users] global t-test

Sylvain MILOT sylvain at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue Dec 6 16:45:05 EST 2005

Hi again Anil,

concerning fmristat's multistat script, I'm not sure this will be feasible after all
since you want to look at a group effect, hence it won't be possible to include fixed subject
effect variables in this case since the independent GROUP variable will be a linear combination of the
SUBJECT effect variables. My impression is that the SD regularization process requires that
the fixed SUBJECT effect variables be included in the model but I havent yet played with this feature so don't
consider my answer to be definitive. The same reasoning applies to glim_image concerning the linear
dependency.

Sylvain

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Sylvain MILOT wrote:

> Hello Anil,
>
> I haven't dealt with this kind of data personnally but you may want to have a look
> here:
>
> http://wiki.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/index.php/FullTextSearch?s=vbm
>
> I don't know how up-to-date this is but I'm pretty certain you should find what you're
> looking for!
>
> Now concerning glim_image, it should be feasible to use it to do exactly what you want.
> I doubt you should use the pooled sd measure since it requires that the sd image be
> stationary. Using the voxel sd measure would be more appropriate.
>
> It should also be possible to use Keith Worsley's latest method via fmristat's
> multistat script which regularizes the random effects variance by smoothing the ratio of
> fixed+random/fixed effects SD volumes and multiplying back by the fixed effects SD. Keith calls
> this a form of local sd pooling. Look here for references http://www.math.mcgill.ca/keith/.
> If it can be tailored to PET data, it should be feasible to taylor it to VBM data. I'm pretty sure
> Jason Lerch has already done this and maybe he'll answer your call when he
> gets a chance. In the meantime look at the wiki!
>
> Hope this helps a little,
>
> Sylvain
>

> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Anil Ashok Kuchinad, Mr wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >

> > I am running a VBM analysis and I wanted to obtain on statistic that I
> > am not sure how to find. I was curious if someone knew what command
> > would allow me to find an overall t-value for the comparison between all
> > grey matter voxel density in one group vs. another. I basically want to
> > find the overall difference in grey matter density across the whole
> > brain between two groups.
> >

> > I am aware that glim_image has a pooled function but I couldn't get it
> > to work for me. I am truly shooting in the dark whether I am to use
> > glim_image and then run something similar to find_peaks or
> > tstat_threshold later on.
> >

> > Hopefully this is possible!
> >

> > Anil

> > Anil Kuchinad
> >
> > Centre for Research on Pain
> >
> > McGill University
> >
> > Strathcona Anatomy and Dentistry Building
> >
> > 3640 University St., Room M/19
> >
> > Montreal, Quebec , Canada
> >
> > H3A 2B2
> >
> > Tel: (514) 398-1271