[MINC-users] Some minc tools don't work on some gziped volume

Olivier Colliot colliot@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 7 17:09:04 2004

Hi,

Something strange is happening when I compress some MINC volumes.
Tools mincinfo and mincheader work with the unziped volume but not the
ziped ones. E.g. here is what happens with mincinfo :
 >mincinfo toto.mnc
file: toto.mnc
image: signed__ short 0 to 4095
image dimensions: zspace yspace xspace
    dimension name         length         step        start
    --------------         ------         ----        -----
    zspace                    181            1          -72
    yspace                    217            1         -126
    xspace                    181            1          -90

 >gzip toto.mnc
 >mincinfo toto.mnc.gz
ncvarid: ncid 3: Variable not found

There is the same kind of problem with mincheader :
 >mincheader toto.mnc.gz
[........]
                dicom_0x0040:el_0x0245 = "110730.703000 " ;
                dicom_0x0040:el_0x0253 = "4060610651" ;
ncdump: type_name: bad type 0

I never had these kind of problems before. This only occurs with MRIs
coming from the Siemens Sonata scanner.
These files have a huge minc header, maybe this can be related to the
problem.

Also, this make the minc2analyse program crash as well...

Otherwise, these images can still be viewed and processed normally.

Does anyone already had this problem or have an idea ?
(of course, I can still use unziped images, but it would be more
convenient to find the source of this error)

Thanks,
Olivier