[MINC-users] Differences between mincstats and volume_stats

Andre MATOS minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:56:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Andrew,

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Andrew Janke wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Andre MATOS wrote:
>
> > I was comparing the results from mincstats and the volume_stats and I
> > found some different values, specially in Median. The mincstats was
> > run into a Mac and the volume_stats into Linux. Below are both:
> >
> > mincstats sanca6_MTe2.mnc.gz -mask sanca6_2003_09_22_bayes1.mnc.gz
> > -mask_range 4,4 -all
> >
> > Bus error
>
> This error (I think) is a memory allocation problem that has been fixed in later
> releases.  Which version of minc are you running?

I am using the version 1.1. I tried to recompiled into MacOS X but I got
the "Bus error" again.

> > Is anyone tryed to compile the volume_stats (N3 package) into a Mac OS X
> > and also know which program (mincstats or volume_stats) is right?
>
> The answer is: Both are right.  However the two have a differing opinion of how
> a histogram bin should be defined and also how many bins there should be in a
> histogram.
>
>   'man mincstats' will tell you how you can get mincstats to more closely
> resemble volume_stats.  The base statistics should not differ (apart from via
> rounding errors) but the histogram stats (of which median is one) are definitely
> going to differ if you use the default options.
>
> As for using mincstats instead of volume_stats in the mni_autoreg package, in
> 99% of cases there will be identical functionality.  N3 may well have
> differences though as the authour of N3 is also the authour of volume_stats...

Do you know how can I make mincstats to show the "same" value, especially
in "-median",  as the volume_stats?

Thanks.

--
Andre Matos