[MINC-development] Current release of MINC? New one needed I think...

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:25:58 EDT 2014

OK, here goes.

I have updated README.release with the process to follow in libminc,
Vladimir may have some comment here specific to the cmake style of
packaging things.

   https://github.com/BIC-MNI/libminc/blob/develop/README.release

minc-tools will be very similar, it is still unclear how the release
of libminc and minc-tools will coincide. One for yourself and Vlad to
work through, perhaps the easiest for now is to make them happen at
the same time with differing version numbers.

You will note that we use a ChangeLog in libminc and minc-tools, the
idea is that each developer summarises their changes in this for other
developers to understand what is going on without having to trawl
through commit logs. Perhaps this notion is now outdated with github
but I still find it useful.

Before a release it is now your job to update the NEWS file from the
ChangeLog, a different style of writing is needed in here as these
describe the changes that were made for the users rather than a
programmers benefit. If you look back though the history you will get
an idea of what needs to be done.

I make it a habit to check through all the documentation before
releasing. In order that upstream packagers can build easily, all
binaries require at a minimum a skeleton manual page. There are
examples in minc-tools of how to do this for scripts (perl and sh) and
C code

Once this is all done, update the various version numbers, release,
test build, run your test cases and put up an initial .tar.gz on
minc-dev for a few of us to test. If no bugs are found within 2-3
weeks I then release the package via an announcement on minc-users and
copy it to packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca My suggestion would be to retire
this as a place to put .tar.gz files and instead use the github
releases mechanism.

What is then done with packages.bic.mni.mcill.ca after all these years
is another matter!.

Let me know if you need any help and from all of us, thanks for
volunteering your time and effort.

ta