[MINC-development] MINC2 file with floating-point voxels and slice normalization

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 14:11:21 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I wanted to throw a question into this discussion - while I understand the
original idea behind the slice-based scaling and it is undoubtedly still
useful to some, IMHO it is a solution for a special case that in all other
(majority of?) cases is nothing but an endless source of frustration and
confusion. I for one, working with MINC for he past 19 years, have not even
_once_ had a need for it; but I have certainly wasted enormous amounts of
time troubleshooting issued caused by it, and writing code to work around
it (I call mincreshape -normalize an awful lot).

I personally think it would make much more sense to make slice-based
scaling the special case, and global scaling the default. In other words,
let users turn slice-based scaling on when they have an application that
requires it; but keep it off by default. Alternatively, even adding an
option to turn it off explicitly would I think be phenomenally useful
(which I would promptly add to all my scripted minc* calls). Or even, let
output volumes inherit the scaling practice of the input volume(s), like
they inherit space variables.

Would this be feasible?

-- A