[MINC-development] MINC2 file with floating-point voxels and slice normalization

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 16:00:44 EST 2013

Hi John,

I went looking for an example of this in the Register/Display code but
it seems to use the valid min/max of a file (not the per slice values
even if they are present). Yes, the per slice values are used while
reading and normalised by volume_io but not in register/Display
themselves.

In our MINC2 based web viewer for large histology (TissueStack) we use
the valid min/max as a starting guess. We also normalise during
conversion to its own internal fast format but that's another story.

Do you have an example of this behaviour? I didn't get to looking far
into postf to see what it does, I ask as while I see this as being
useful for discrete data types I don't see the point for float/double
given that they are "normalised" already and thus a file min/max
should be a decent approximation.

Storing a min/max for each slice is also only going to work for
viewing in a particular orientation.

ta