[MINC-development] minc 2.2.00

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 20:34:07 EDT 2012

>>One of the major things we will do as part of this is attempt to make
>>a libMINC that is MINC2 only and removes all the netCDF bits. This
>>will mean a lot of code in volume_io will need to shift into MINC 2
>>proper (xfms, tags, etc). Of course this will be done as an option to
>>the build process.

> +1 for ITK support!
>
> Maybe I misunderstand the last paragraph, but I hope said ITK reader be able to read both MINC1 and MINC2 files?

We are aiming for MINC2 only (easily) At this point.

> At least optionally.  Being able to optionally exclude the NetCDF dependency could be helpful to getting your MINCReader into ITK proper since, IIRC, ITK already includes HDF5 but not NetCDF.

And this is the point exactly. The idea is to have an option in the
libminc build that will disable MINC1 (as compared to before where you
enable MINC2). This is for the reason that you point out with HDF5
being in ITK already.

As part of this we will shift a few chunks of volume_io to minc2 that
are required. At the moment this is for reading of transforms and tag
files only so that ITK can support these also.

As for MINC1 support, Vlads ezminc based ITK reader already does this
as does the original one for ITK. Still it's messy and the netCDF
dependency precludes MINC's inclusion into ITK so MINC2 only it is.

As for MINC1 files, the best way around this that I see is a
stand-alone mincconvert.