[MINC-development] compiling Display from github

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso jordigh at octave.org
Mon Nov 5 10:28:21 EST 2012

On 5 November 2012 10:03, Jason Lerch <jason at phenogenomics.ca> wrote:
> No, I was using the master branch. I'll give the devel branch a try
> later - which I guess will include trying to understand the god
> forsaken cmake build system (I know that autoconf sucks and the
> thought of writing anything in m4 is horrid, but at least I got used
> to it!).

Cmake sucks too, since it's a lot more difficult to write custom tests
for it that aren't already built-in. It's less flexible than
autotools, but using it as a user should be no more difficult than
autotools. Instead of doing

    cd build-directory ## optional
    /path/to/configure
    make
    make install

do

    cd build-directory ## optional
    cmake /path/to/CMakeLists.txt
    make
    make install

As we say in IRC, "The 'suck' is a unit vector. A given foo doesn't
suck LESS, it just sucks in a direction a given hacker finds less
disagreeable."

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.