[MINC-development] MINC and ITK

Leila Baghdadi baghdadi at phenogenomics.ca
Mon May 16 10:11:30 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I wrote the ITK minc2 support sometime after the development of minc2
was complete mostly because I was writing a lot of code in ITK and was
tired of having to change file formats all the time and lose the
minc header information. I got a few posts from people who knew I was doing both ITK
and MINC2 development so I submitted the ITKMINC2 support to the ITK
journal so that these people could get a hold of the code and use it.
ITKMINC2 support makes MINC2 API calls exclusively and as a result
unable to read MINC1 format which is not used much in our lab. As Jason mentioned, we are happily using MINC2 so the thought of supporting MINC1 never crossed my mind.

If
 you check vtk for instance, I wrote my own vtkMINC2Image reader and
writer when we needed it in our lab and David Gobbi has committed
various classes for reading/writing  minc1 and obj formats and so on.

I agree that the time has come to have one ITK-MINC support code which can take care of both formats,

So I think the best way is for Vladimir and I to join forces for itk-minc support and figure out what is the best way to proceed.

I will update the list as soon as I have some information.

Leila

p.s thank you Sean for your interest and starting this thread
p.p.s Thank you Jason for granting me the minc core developer privilege although I have written a lot of minc2 code, some of those guys still beat me to it, they started way before I knew what imaging is!