[MINC-development] HDF5 Error trying to read acquisition attributes from a MINC file

Rick Hoge rick.hoge at linev.ca
Sun Jan 9 23:56:13 EST 2011

Hi,

I've trying to load the acquisition information from a MINC2 file into memory, and while I've been able to get the correct values, I am getting strange HDF5 messages to stderr.

For example the following code fragment

///////////////////////////
int attr_length;
int attr_type;
char string_value[1024];
miget_attr_type(minc_volume, "acquisition","protocol", &attr_type);
miget_attr_length(minc_volume, "acquisition", "protocol", &attr_length);
miget_attr_values(minc_volume, attr_type, "acquisition", "protocol", attr_length, string_value);
///////////////////////////

Is able to get the type, length, and value of the protocol attribute.  However the first two miget_ calls generate the following messages to stderr:

---------------------------
HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 library version: 1.6.5 thread 0.  Back trace follows.
  #000: H5G.c line 346 in H5Gclose(): not a group
    major(01): Function arguments
    minor(03): Inappropriate type
HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 library version: 1.6.5 thread 0.  Back trace follows.
  #000: H5G.c line 346 in H5Gclose(): not a group
    major(01): Function arguments
    minor(03): Inappropriate type

They appear to be harmless (no crash and I get the right values), but obviously it would be nice to know why they occur and how to get rid of them.  This is from a build of minc-2.0.18 against hdf5-1.6.5 on a 64-bit Intel system running OSX 10.6.5

Would be grateful for any insight and suggestions on how to cure!

Rick