[MINC-development] MINC 2.0.19/2.1 and HDF 1.6/1.8

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:38:56 EDT 2010

> May I suggest a different solution? Why not dump HDF and
> use exclusively netCDF 4 which now offers compression a
> la HDF?

<perk!>

> I haven't read about it,

I just did.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#fv4

> so I don't know if it  would replace HDF fully. This could be minc3. :-)

Apparently yes.

> What do we do with netCDF 3.X vs 4.X?

Apparently not a problem and all netcdf3 code is supposed to just work.

> Same problem as HDF
> 1.6 vs 1.8.

Nope.

Well I don't see a downside, we just remove all the HDF code from
MINC2 and push everything back to netcdf. :)  (ie: remove all the
switches).

Right now I don't see a downside beyond perhaps having to sort out the
apparent dimension ordering thingamybob that I don't think anyone
uses.

I suspect but don't know if netcdf4 supports data chunking ala
HDF/MINC2 but would have to look deeper.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)