[MINC-development] minc 2.0 file format definition

Robert VINCENT minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue, 10 May 2005 12:33:01 -0400

Romain,

You are correct about equation (4).  I had updated it in the source TeX
files but I had not updated the document on the website.  I will update
the website to reflect this correction.

Regarding the definition of the coordinate spaces, the meaning of the
"true" xspace, yspace, and zspace dimensions is invariant with respect to
the acquisition order of the image.  X is always from patient left to
patient right, Y is from patient posterior to anterior, and Z is from
patient to inferior to superior.  A MINC file may have any of these
dimensions chosen as the fastest-varying dimension, so a coronal image and
a transverse image may share precisely the same definitions of X, Y, and Z
even though the organization of the data in the file may change.

The direction cosines simply represent (in a very general fashion) the
rotation that must be applied to the voxel (IJK) coordinates in order to
derive the world (XYZ)  coordinates.

	-bert