[MINC-development] Windoze

Chris Cocosco minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:49:45 -0400

Hi all,

Many people in the medical imaging community develop
software for MS-Windows, so I think that having MINC (and
even volume_io) for Win32 would be very helpful for
enlarging the MINC user community...

(by the way, Unidata.UCAR also has a win32 port of
netcdf-3.5.0)

On the same topic, a pure-Java MINC library would be helpful
too.  As far as I can tell, Java is still the easiest way to
write "platform independent" portable software or web-based
viewers.  Moreover, even when one is not concerned with
portability, these days many developers prefer Java over C++.

Again, Unidata also has a pure-Java version of NetCDF (and I
suppose there's a Java HDF5 library available too), so only
the core MINC library would have to be ported... maybe
this could be added to the wish list for MINC 2.0 ?

--Chris Cocosco

Robert Vincent wrote:

} Hi all,
}
} I entertained myself this weekend by building NetCDF 3.5 and MINC 1.1 on
} Windows ME (I lead an exciting life, huh?).  I have no idea if this was
} actually a useful exercise.  Can I get a show of hands? How many folks out
} there could use MINC on Windows if it were generally available?  And what
} other pieces besides the core distribution would have to be ported for the
} whole package to be truly useful?
}
} I created Makefiles for both GNU make (from Cygwin) and Microsoft NMAKE.
} I just used Microsoft's compiler; it handles 99.9% of the code just fine -
} I had to add a few #ifdefs here and there, perhaps changing 10 or 20 lines
} of code.  I tried several of the NetCDF and MINC tests and everything
} checked out fine, although there is a minor but annoying inconsistency in
} floating-point output from printf().
}
} There are several large questions to be answered yet, though - for
} example, how to handle shell and perl scripts.  Obviously there are
} solutions; I'm curious if anyone knows of an especially good perl
} implementation for Win32.
}
} If anyone is interested, I have a binary ZIP file I can make available for
} evaluation & testing purposes.  Otherwise I'll just find other ways to
} entertain myself next weekend...
}
}	-bert
}