[MINC-development] minc-patch: fixing check for gunzip

Steve ROBBINS minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:59:09 -0500

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:44:14AM -0500, Jason Lerch wrote:
> Greetings folks,
>
> here's a patch (against CVS version of minc) fixing an issue on OS X -
> namely that, in order for gzipped minc files to be handled correctly,
> #define unix has to be true. I've replaced that with a configure time
> check for gunzip.

Checking for gunzip rather than unix is an improvement, certainly.
One then worries about the possibility that gunzip is not installed
when MINC is built, but is installed later.   Moreover the programs
"bunzip2", "zcat" and "pcat" are also used to decompress MINC files.

The function execute_decompress_command() requires the unix-like (probably
POSIX is enough) functions: system(), popen(), and fork().  I'd suggest
an alternate patch that checks for those three functions, rather than
for "gzip".  I'll post a patch later today.

-S