[MINC-development] MINC API

Rick Hoge minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Mon, 5 May 2003 08:25:19 -0400

Hi John,

I would tend to agree that it's time to rethink the role of volume_io.
I hear frequently from people and groups in the Boston area who are
trying to do MINC development but find the current layering quite
confusing.  I think integration of the xfm and tag file support would
be a good thing too -

I assume that by general transformations stored as minc files you mean
deformation fields for non-linear transformations.  We currently do a
lot of non-linear gradient unwarping, particularly for our Allegra but
also for other systems, and anything that would facilitate this would
be nice!

Rick

On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 05:56  PM, John G. Sled wrote:

> I am looking for some feedback with respect to the API of MINC 2.0.
> An idea that came out of the MINC meeting earlier this year is that
> the libminc 2 API should have much more functionality than libminc 1,
> such that it would be an attractive alternative to the libvolume_io
> API for many applications.  The distinction made at the time was
> that the new libminc would be used in applications that managed
> their own memory whereas libvolume_io would continue to offer
> memory management and caching.
>
> My question for the list is how much functionality that is currently
> in other libraries should be put into libminc?  I think it is clear
> that libminc should have various function for setting all of the
> header attributes related coordinate systems, but what about the
> code for working with xfm files or tag files?  What about general
> transformations that are represented as MINC files?  Any comments
> would be appreciated.
>

> John

Richard D. Hoge, Ph.D.
Instructor, HMS Department of Radiology
A. A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 13th St.
Charlestown MA 02129
phone 617-726-6598
fax    617-726-7422