[MINC-development] Draft API for MINC 2.0

Andrew Janke minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:07:33 +1000

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Robert VINCENT wrote:

> > Are you really really sure you want to add more data types?  (COMPLEX, etc) I
> > for one was happy with the idea of a 'vector_dimension/complex_vector' for these
> > as it allowed a fair bit more flexibility.
>
> My assumption was that adding some intrinsic support for complex data
> would be useful, and that we would ultimately allow arbitrarily-sized and
> -structured voxel values.  So nothing would prevent you from continuing to
> use a vector type.  Remember that 99% of the traditional MINC ways of
> accomplishing things should continue to work!

True.  However if I were to write a viewer for all types of MINC data, it just
got harder.  Currently all I have to worry about are 3D and 4D scalar files, how
does one view a complex file?  or a structured file?  to my mind this sort of
notion introduces breakage further down the lines as each and every command line
tool will have to be more complex (pun :).

But don't let my rambling stop you!, you just might find yourselves re-writing
mincresample, mincreshape, etc. ;)