[MINC-development] MINC API

John G. Sled minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:56:44 -0400

I am looking for some feedback with respect to the API of MINC 2.0.
An idea that came out of the MINC meeting earlier this year is that
the libminc 2 API should have much more functionality than libminc 1,
such that it would be an attractive alternative to the libvolume_io
API for many applications.  The distinction made at the time was
that the new libminc would be used in applications that managed
their own memory whereas libvolume_io would continue to offer
memory management and caching.

My question for the list is how much functionality that is currently
in other libraries should be put into libminc?  I think it is clear
that libminc should have various function for setting all of the
header attributes related coordinate systems, but what about the
code for working with xfm files or tag files?  What about general
transformations that are represented as MINC files?  Any comments
would be appreciated.

John