[MINC-development] MI_ICV_DO_DIM_CONV and slice dimension

Rick Hoge minc-development@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:12:40 -0500

I've been working with the minc ICV functions, and have noticed what to
me seemed counterintuitive behaviour associated with the
MI_ICV_DO_DIM_CONV parameter.  My understanding from the documentation
is that a value of TRUE should flip any dimensions that have a negative
step size.  However I have noticed that while in-plane dimensions are
flipped to put the posterior-left corner of a transverse slice at the
beginning of the buffer, slices are not flipped.  Is this consistent
with what other people have seen or expect?  Maybe I am
misunderstanding the docs but I'd expect the forced consistency with
positive step sizes to be all-or-none.

For us a typical case would be a transverse EPI scan from one of our
Siemens Numaris 4 systems with negative steps in all of x, y, and z
(pixeldata buffer starts at front right corner of top slice), all dims
need to be flipped to achieve positive step sizes.

This may explain some other confusing behaviour we've seen in the past,
and I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm how this is supposed to
work.

Rick

Richard D. Hoge, Ph.D.
Instructor, HMS Department of Radiology
A. A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 13th St.
Charlestown MA 02129
phone 617-726-6598
fax    617-726-7422