[Loris-dev] Fixing multi-escaped special characters

Rida Abou-Haidar rida.abou-haidar at mcin.ca
Tue Jul 7 16:39:20 EDT 2020

Hi Eli,

In LORIS v22 I added a reported script that analyses if there are issues in
your instruments.

https://github.com/aces/Loris/pull/6477/files#diff-a943c6333454285d7b55ae4c9d792134

However the script that fixes all the issues requires some
customization per project and that's why it was not submitted to the repo.
Run the reporter first and see the extent of the damage, your options after
that are:

   1. fix the fields manually
   2. create your own little script to do it
   3. we send you the script of one of our projects and you modify it to
   work for you.

The reason the existing scripts need alterations is because projects have
the freedom to implement their instruments the way they want it, so it's
very difficult to make one script that works for all instruments on all
projects. There is also the extent of the damages that have to be
considered, in some projects the escaping happened so many times that the
data in the SQL table started getting truncated. I don't think it will be
the case for you because it happened because of a set of special
circumstances but seeing how much the data is affected can help identify
the best method for fixing the data.

Best,
Rida Abou-Haidar
Software Developer