[Loris-dev] Multiple instances on single VM login bug

Matthew Lee matthew at biospective.com
Tue Sep 13 15:31:36 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I ran into an issue with running multiple instances of LORIS on one VM, and
I found a fix, but I need advice.

To preface the problem, I should explain how it arose.  We want to access
LORIS through one main url, but we also want to obscure what projects we're
running if a user doesn't need to use that instance.  So, if we're running
project ABC001, we don't want those users to see we have a project MNI007.
We have ended up configuring apache to map different directories to
different urls.  i.e. /var/www/<project>/htdocs maps to
loris.biospective.com/<project>

The problem we ran into was that logging on to MNI007 could grant access to
ABC001 if they enter the different url.

The solution I found was to change the php session save path via
ini_set().  What I need advice about is where to set this new save
directory.  I initially set it to /var/www/<project>/user_sessions, but I
don't have any attachment to that location.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions?  I can expand on how the
different instances are set up if that will help.

Thanks,

Matthew