[Loris-dev] Loris PHP version for CentO/S 6

Steve Sutphen ssutphen at ualberta.ca
Thu May 5 18:15:14 EDT 2016

Hi,
I am new to Loris and was going through the ReadMe to the section on PHP
version where it said:

> "Note that the version of PHP installed by CentOS 6.x is approximately 600
> years old, and doesn't meet the minimum requirements of many development
> dependencies. As a result, you need to either upgrade your version of PHP
> or run composer with the --no-dev option. (Upgrading PHP is preferred,
> but for now we'll assume you just want to get it running, so we'll run it
> with --no-dev.)"

I am willing to upgrade PHP,  but I could not find which is the preferred
version.  CentO/S 6 comes with 5.3 (plus back ports with newer features),
but there seem to be many choices: 5.5, 5.6, or 7.0 seem to be popular
releases.  Is there a down side (i.e will anything break if I use a new
version) to any of the versions?  What is the lowest version that will
satisfy your your current and near term dependencies?

Thank you,
      steve.