[BIC-announce] problems with Le James for computers? was: Purchasing computers for University-related activities / Achat d’ordinateurs destinés aux activités universitaires

Louis Collins, Dr. louis.collins at mcgill.ca
Fri Sep 25 08:52:51 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I’m writing to solicit your help in a discussion that I intend to have with Purchasing at McGill.  According to the email below, we are supposed to buy computer equipment from Le James.  I find this difficult to accept, because I (and others) have not had good service from Le James. For example:
I tried to order a MacBook from Le James.  It took 6-7 days to get a quote and they were going to take another 10 days to order it.  I ordered one on the web and had next day delivery to the Apple store on Ste-Catherine.
Last week I tried to order a common 1TB SSD drive, Le James could not get the model I wanted. NewEgg has 2-3 day delivery.
Peter ordered a keyboard and mouse from Le James recently and it took two weeks to arrive.
Simon tried to order 1 workstation and 1 regular desktop from Le James.  Despite detailed quotes with specific items supported within the BIC IT infrastructure, Le James insisted on buying another product that will result in difficulties with support
One colleague ordered a MacBook 3 months ago from Le James, and he was still waiting for it at the beginning of September.
Such lack of service Le James is unacceptable since Apple.ca, NewEgg.com and Amazon.ca and others all offer good (or often better prices), often with next day delivery, and much better service (including returns). Forcing profs to subsidize the lack lustre Le James using public funds is ridiculous..

If you’ve run into difficulties with Le James, can you please drop me a short email, and I’ll include you in the list (with or without your name, let me know) above when I communicate with Purchasing next week.

thanks and have a good weekend!

-Louis