[BIC-announce] MRI Reservation Policies

Richard Hoge, Dr. rick.hoge at mcgill.ca
Wed Feb 7 18:52:33 EST 2018

Dear all,

I would like to remind MRI users of several policies governing scan time reservations on the 3T Prisma and 7T Pharmascan systems.

1) All scanner reservations must go through the proper channels of the BIC scheduling service.  The techs and other unit staff are not to be contacted directly to book scan time, as acceptance of a time booking is subject to administrative verification of the request and availability of personnel to operate the scanners. Scan time requests must also be entered into the schedule for accounting and audit purposes.

2) Scan time reservations must accurately reflect the time period during which users expect access to the scanner.  I have been advised that certain groups routinely book scan sessions that are preceded by blocks of unused time, and then show up at the start of the 'unused' block expecting to commence scanning.  Because billing is based on the *scheduled* hours, this results in underpayment for the time actually used.  In addition to the lost revenues to the BIC, the resultant fragmentation of the schedule wastes scanner time that is in high demand.

3) Proper billing for scan time requires that users show up for their session with a completed time request form, accurately reflecting the time used, and signed by the PI.

I thank everyone for their collaboration in respecting these policies, which are intended to maximize availability of MRI time for everyone while ensuring the financial sustainability of our operations.

Sincerely,

Rick

--
Rick Hoge, PhD