[BIC-announce] Important: report on event at the BIC.

Sylvain Baillet, Dr sylvain.baillet at mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 12 09:30:08 EDT 2015

Dear Members of the BIC Community:

I want to address some rumours concerning a suspected contamination incident reported in our Cyclotron facility a few weeks ago, which disrupted radiotracer production and PET scanning temporarily.

An incident did take place in the Unit in mid-January. A personal radioactive monitoring device displayed abnormal levels of exposure to radiation.  In coordination with the MNI Radiation Safety Officer (RSO), the Cyclotron team immediately engaged procedures to gather all the facts and ensure the continued safety of our employees, PET users and research subjects.

The investigation, furthered by the Commission de la Santé et de la Sécurité du Travail and the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC), concluded that no one had been exposed to abnormal levels of radiations. Rather, it was determined that the personal radiation-monitoring device had been voluntarily manipulated to simulate possible contamination. CNSC regulations required temporary closure of the facility for two days.  Within 24 hours all necessary measures were elaborated by our team and proposed to CNSC. In the 24 hours that followed, the proposed measures were approved by CNSC, the closure order was lifted, and we were authorized to resume production.

In line with our untarnished record of safety at the McConnell Brain Imaging Centre, I am pleased to report that the CNSC confirmed that the health and safety of our staff and collaborators, including research participants, had never been put at risk.

I am taking this opportunity to acknowledge the passion, professionalism and dedication of our PET and Cyclotron Unit team, which makes nuclear-imaging research an ongoing reality at the Neuro. Kudos also to Dr. Christian Janicki, our Radiation Safety Officer, and to the MNI executive team, Mr. Zahoor Chughtai in particular.

Should you have any further questions concerning this event, please contact me directly.

With my very best wishes,

Sylvain.

Sylvain Baillet, PhD

Professor, Neurology, Neurosurgery & Biomedical Engineering
Acting Director, McConnell Brain Imaging Centre
MNI Killam and FRQS Senior Scholar
Montreal Neurological Institute
McGill University
http://mcgill.ca/bic