[BIC-announce] Special 1st Seminar in Biomedical Engineering - Friday Jan. 17th - 9h am - Room 333

Christophe Grova christophe.grova at mcgill.ca
Thu Jan 16 22:57:10 EST 2014

Dear all,

We will have our first  Biomedical Engineering seminar of the year, tomorrow
Friday Jan 17th at 9h am.

Friday ­ Jan 17th,  at 9 am (be carful of the change in schedule)

Location: Room  333 Lyman Duff Building (Biomedical Engineering Dpt, 3775
University Street).

Speaker:  Dr. Nicole Li PhD,  Assistant Professor, University of
Maryland-College Park, Visiting Assistant Professor, Johns Hopkins
University

Title:  T
owards personalized medicine for voice restoration

Dr. Li is candidate for associate membership in Biomedical Engineering
department, so attendance from our staff members and their students is
highly encouraged.

Abstract:
Voice disorders are among the most common communication disorders across the
lifespan. Teachers, actors, singers, teachers, politicians, journalists, and
anyone who uses their voice intensively will experience a voice disorder at
least once during the course of their careers. Patients¹ responses to
surgical, pharmaceutical or behavioral voice treatments however vary
substantially, hampering clinicians in planning targeted voice care.
Most voice disorders involve physical injury of the vocal folds. In normal
phonation, the vocal fold mucosa and ligament undergo vibrations at
frequencies ranging from 20 to 3,000 Hz and amplitudes of a few millimeters.
Recent advances have improved our understanding of mechanical and biological
mechanisms in vocal fold injury and repair.  However, much work remains to
link these mechanisms, to uncover essential mechanical and biological
factors in pathogenesis and treatment responses for the disorder.
In this talk, a combined approach of in vivo, in vitro, and computer models
we have developed to understand vocal fold mechanobiology will be described.
The goal is to identify person-varying factors and predictors in
pathogenesis of and recovery from vocal fold injury, which ultimately will
be useful for near-future generations of personalized voice restoration
models.

A list of upcoming seminars can be found at :
http://www.mcgill.ca/bme/news/seminars

See you there

Christophe Grova

***************************
Christophe Grova, PhD
Assistant Professor
Biomedical Engineering Dpt
Neurology and Neurosurgery Dpt

Multimodal Functional Imaging Lab (Multi FunkIm)
Montreal Neurological Institute
Centre de Recherches en Mathématiques

Biomedical Engineering Department - Room 304
McGill University
3775 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada,
H3A 2B4
email : christophe.grova at mcgill.ca <mailto:christophe.grova at mcgill.ca>
tel : (514) 398 2516
fax : (514) 398 7461