[BIC-announce] Seminar in Biomedical Engineering - Wednesday Nov 27th - 4 pm - Room 333

Christophe Grova christophe.grova at mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 27 09:10:44 EST 2013

Dear all,

We will have our next Biomedical Engineering seminar today

Wednesday ­ November 27th,  at 1 pm

Location: Room  333 Lyman Duff Building (Biomedical Engineering Dpt, 3775
University Street).

 Speaker:  Dr. Jidan Zhong PhD, postdoc fellow under the supervision of Dr.
L. Koski,  McGill University.

Title:
Resting state motor network changes associated with motor task performance
in multiple sclerosis

Abstract:
While motor weakness is presented in patients with Multiple Sclerosis (MS),
how motor-related functional connectivity (FC) in the resting-state changes
with motor performance in patients with MS is unknown. A clear description
of this relationship can improve our understanding of mechanisms underlying
motor impairment and might guide future treatments to preserve functional
ability through induction of neuroplastic changes. We hypothesized that
motor performance deficits could be reflected in altered resting-state FC
with diverse cortical regions in the motor network in patients with MS. The
aim of this presentation is to (1) identify and compare the motor-related
resting-state FC networks between MS patients and healthy controls for the
dominant and non-dominant hemispheres and (2) estimate the association
between these FC networks and motor task performance, among patients with
relapsing-remitting MS.

We used resting-state functional MRI to detect FC related to hand motor
regions in sixteen right-handed MS patients studied during remission and
seven healthy participants. With the left and right hand-knob motor regions
as seeds, seed-based correlation was performed for each subject and the
group FC as well as the group comparison were investigated. Based on these
FC maps, we identified the connections that were significantly correlated
with performance on Nine Hole Peg Task. The initial results from these
analyses will be presented in the talk.

A list of upcoming seminars can be found at :
http://www.mcgill.ca/bme/news/seminars

See you there

Christophe Grova

***************************
Christophe Grova, PhD
Assistant Professor
Biomedical Engineering Dpt
Neurology and Neurosurgery Dpt

Multimodal Functional Imaging Lab (Multi FunkIm)
Montreal Neurological Institute
Centre de Recherches en Mathématiques

Biomedical Engineering Department - Room 304
McGill University
3775 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada,
H3A 2B4
email : christophe.grova at mcgill.ca <mailto:christophe.grova at mcgill.ca>
tel : (514) 398 2516
fax : (514) 398 7461