[BIC-announce] FW: REMINDER CIM-REPARTI Seminar -Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:00am-12:00pm - Medical Imaging - MC603 TITLE: Ultrasonic Guidance and Visualization of Medical Operations

Jennifer Chew, Ms. jennifer.chew at mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 3 14:28:50 EDT 2009

 REMINDER

Hello everyone,

This message is being sent on behalf of Professor Tal Arbel.

There will be a CIM-REPARTI Seminar
DATE:  Tuesday September 8, 2009
TIME:  11am to noon
PLACE: McConnell Engineering Building, Room 603
Speaker: Hassan Rivez, PhD candidate, Johns Hopkins University
Title: Ultrasonic Guidance and Visualization of Medical Operations

Abstract:
Ultrasound imaging is a fully non-invasive technique for imaging human anatomy. After plane film x-ray systems, it is the most widely used medical imaging system in the world. As a real-time, inexpensive and portable medical imaging modality, its application is growing rapidly as a guidance and visualization tool for medical operations. In this talk we present novel techniques for processing ultrasound images and exploit them in medical applications.

First, we propose algorithms and applications for ultrasound elasticity imaging. Ultrasound elasticity imaging involves the computation of the spatial variation of the elastic modulus of tissue and is an emerging medical imaging method with medical applications such as tumor detection. We will focus on static elasticity imaging, a well known technique that applies quasi-static compression of tissue and simultaneously images it with ultrasound. Through analysis of the ultrasound images, a tissue displacement map can be obtained which is utilized for creating an image of tissue mechanical properties. We validate our algorithms using simulation, tissue mimicking phantoms and ex-vivo experiments. We show the successful application of our technology in patient trials for targeting and visualization of liver ablation surgery and in guiding breast radiation therapy.

Second, we propose novel techniques for image-based sensorless freehand 3D ultrasound imaging. Freehand 3D ultrasound involves generating 3D ultrasound volumes from 2D ultrasound images. It is inexpensive, works with the existing 2D probes, allows arbitrary 3D volume acquisition, and has applications in both medical diagnosis and guidance. Sensorless freehand 3D ultrasound requires tissue classification, probe calibration and image correlation which will be discussed in this talk.

And finally as a future avenue, we show how these two techniques can be combined to provide 3D ultrasound and 3D elasticity images from conventional 2D probes with no additional hardware.

--
Biography:
Hassan Rivaz is a PhD candidate in the Department of Computer Science at the Johns Hopkins University.  He has been working towards his PhD since