[BIC-announce] TO RESEARCHERS CONDUCTING PET RESEARCH

Jennifer Chew, Ms. jennifer.chew at mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 19 16:49:34 EDT 2009

Forwarding on behalf of Dr. Jean-Paul Soucy.  Please see message below.
Thank you.  Jennifer

"Montreal, March 18, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to inform you that our PET team is now able to perform
accurate measurement and correction of subject motion during HRRT PET
scans through the use of the Polaris Vicra infrared tracking device.  We
are now able to detect and correct for motion on a sub-millimeter and
sub-second basis.  The technique has been developed in-house and has
been tested using germanium phantoms.  For all of this, we're indebted
to Jeroen Verhaeghe, Andrew Reader and Richard Fukasawa who together
worked very hard, building on the initial efforts by Chris Thompson, to
make this functional.

The need for such motion correction is obvious for high spatial
resolution HRRT imaging. The correction technique will improve the
reliability of voxel-level time-activity curves, which currently can
change simply due to subject movement within the scanner.

The only change to the standard PET scan procedure will be a request
that the subject wear a single use shower cap and an extensible swim cap
to which a light plastic cross with four reflective spheres is attached.
The subject movement will then be tracked with the Polaris Vicra, an
infrared tracking device mounted on a tripod behind the scanner. The
template for the Consent Form (both English and French) now posted on
our website has been modified to allow for this to be performed (see on
web site at http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/admin/protocols).

The procedure will provide you with images processed in exactly the same
way as is currently done, but with the option to also have motion
corrected images. If you are interested in applying this technique to
your current HRRT scan protocols or if you have any questions  regarding
this technique, don't hesitate to contact us.

 With the best regards and hoping our new motion estimation and
correction techniques will be of interest and benefit to your research.

Jean-Paul Soucy - Coordinator, PET Unit"

Jean-Paul Soucy, MD, MSc

Coordinator, PET Unit

McConnell Brain Imaging Centre

Montreal Neurological Institute